Inspired by our first date at Gorozzos Kansas City, I decided to make these for Valentine’s Day. When we were first dating, Shawn used to take me every week on our night off from the bar. He loved the Spiedini Gorozzo and would alternate between that and the Bistecca Canzoneri which is the beef medallions. And he would always get a port wine and Tiramisu for dessert.
Remember, we were young and we were both bartenders. But now, we are older and we can’t eat that kind of heavy food. We stay away from gluten, dairy, soy, refined and processed foods. Plus, we moved 1000 miles away. Soooo I decided to find a way to recreate his favorite dish the way we can eat it. And he loved it!! This is how I made it.
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1/3 cup gluten free bread crumbs or Italian seasoned gluten free panko breadcrumbs
1 T Italian Seasoning (omit if using store bought seasoned panko)
1 T of chopped fresh parsley
2 t grated lemon zest
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 T olive oil or Grapeseed oil
2 T butter
1 tbsp lemon juice
1. Place chicken strips between sheets of plastic wrap, pound chicken gently with mallet until very thin (about 1/8 inch thick.)
2. In the Large Coating Tray, combine bread crumbs, seasoning, parsley. lemon zest and garlic.
3. In medium Coating Tray, combine olive oil, lemon juice and melted butter.
4. Dip chicken into butter mixture, coat with crumb mixture.
5. Tightly roll up and thread onto metal or bamboo skewer. Repeat with remaining chicken. 4-6 pieces per skewer.
6. To Grill; place skewers on lightly oils grates over medium hot coals. Or use the Grill Pan as I have shown.
7. Cover and grill for five minutes per side or until chicken is cooked through.
8. Sprinkle with Lemon Grapeseed Oil to finish if desired.
Thank you for your support! Let me know how you like it!