I grew up calling them Italian wedding Cookies, but they are also called Mexican Wedding Cookies. For some reason, the holidays just aren’t same without these awesome cookies. And this is my modified recipe free of gluten, dairy, soy, sugar, and nuts. I do like the toasted sunflower seeds as a replacement for the almonds. They are just as amazing I promise, but feel free to leave it out or substitute any other nuts or seeds. I use baking soda in place of the rising agent in all-purpose flour.
- 2 cup (16oz) vegan butter sticks
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 & 1/3 cup tapioca, coconut or chick pea flour
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
- 1 cup organic, gluten-free powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream together butter, honey and extract. (take a whiff, smells yummy!)
- Once mixed, add in arrowroot, baking soda, coconut flour, tapioca flour. Add toasted sunflower seeds if desired.
- Beat with electric mixture or work with hands
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls , careful not to overwork the dough. Place cookies on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, and place on a cooling rack.
- After 10 minutes of cooling, roll in powdered sugar and leave to fully cool. repeat powdered sugar to fully coat the cookies.