This one was gone in a flash! But I do have to do a little planning on this one. I oven roast a whole organic chicken, shred it, and boil the rest for stock. You are welcome to buy a rotisserie chicken, or boil your chicken and save the stock. Then shred it and save for when you are ready to make the recipe.
Ingredients for the chicken:
1 whole organic chicken
1 tbsp Sea Salt
1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tbsp Wildtree organic Butter Flavored Grapeseed oil, or vegan butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
Ingredients for the Scones:
2 tbsp Wildtree Organic Butter Flavored oil, or melted vegan butter
1 cup rice milk
1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour ( I have my own recipe below if you would like)
1/4 tsp guar gum or xanthan gum (omit this if using my all-purpose mix below)
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
Ingredients for filling:
1 tbsp Wildtree Organic Butter Flavored Oil or reserved fat from roasted chicken
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp Sea Salt
1 cup of chopped onion
1 cup of chopped celery
1 cup of chopped carrots
1 cup of warm stock from the chicken or warm rice milk
3-4 tbsp arrowroot
Directions for Chicken:
1. Clean and dry chicken. Put into Deep Covered Baker or roasting pan.
2. Roast breast side down for 1 hour at 400 degrees. Then flip over and roast for another 30 minutes or until brown and crispy.
3. Check that it reaches 160 degrees, and let cool.
Directions for Scones:
While chicken is roasting, you can put these in the oven in the last 30 minutes of cooking time…
1. Grease Brownie Pan or Muffin Pan. These will also bake at 400 degrees.
2. Whisk eggs, butter, and milk in a bowl. Set aside.
3. In mixer with whisk attachment, add flour, guar gum and salt. Mix until combined. Then slowly add liquid ingredients and mix, scraping the sides, until you have a smooth batter. It will be runny.
4. Scoop batter into pan wells, about two-thirds full.
5. Bake for 12-15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 for another 10 minutes. Remove and let sit until firm. Serve warm.
Directions for filling:
While Scones are baking and chicken is finishing up, make the filling.
1. Heat large skillet to med-high with oil or reserved chicken fat, and add garlic. Then add onion, celery, and carrots and sea salt. Feel free to add more veggies like broccoli, cauliflower and zucchini. Saute until tender.
2. Mix warm stock or milk with arrowroot until it’s free of lumps. Add mixture, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken to warm through and serve over buttery scones.
Enjoy!! You will want another serving 😉
Gluten Free All Purpose Flour Mix (like Bisquick)
1 1/2 c brown rice flour
1 1/2 c arrowroot
1/2 tbsp stevia
1 tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp guar gum
2 tsp fine sea salt
I keep mine in a container in the freezer. Makes wonderful pancakes, biscuits, and dumplings just use the regular bisquick recipes 😉